Sponge gourd can easily grow in container. Sponge gourd is one of the popular vegetables similar to ridge gourd. The only difference is sponge gourd has a smooth surface. Sponge gourd belongs to the family of, Cucurbitaceae, and genus of, Luffa, . Fully ripe sponge gourds have a high volume of fibrous which is being used as cleansing agent (utensils) and making shoe-soles, table mats. This vegetable is cultivated in most of the states in India.
|Common Name||Sponge gourd, Gilki / Turai, Luffa|
|Height||Up to 30 ft|
|Bloom Time||Summer, Rainy season, Winter|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow|
Planting And Care
- Luffa can also be grown in containers around 5-gallon size
- Containers must have good drainage and cant be moved once the vines attach tendrils to other objects
Sponge Gourd (Turai) Care
- At the time of bed preparation, FYM should be mixed with soil for good yield
- Seeds are sown directly on the bed or pot
- They should be planted 2 cm deep in the bed or pots
- Plastic wrap can be used for mulching purpose to control the weed and water loss
- They should be planted 2 cm deep in pots
|Soil||Well-drained loamy soil with 6.5 to 7 pH level|
|Temperature||25 to 30 degree C|
|Fertilizer||Use any organic fertilizer.|
|Harvest Season||Summer, Rainy season, Winter|
Sponge Gourd (Turai) Special Feature
Songe gourd is required low investment and it can be grown year long with high yields in short duration period.
Sponge Gourd (Turai) Uses
- Contain vitamin A and C
- Tender fruits are used for cooking purpose
There are no reviews yet.